My mom, my sisters, and I had a girls' lunch to celebrate my sister, Sarah, going away to college this week. So sad that she's leaving (and going so far away)....but excited that she's pursuing a career in the arts. She's going to be so amazing.
Sending Sarah off to college made me think about my college days at East Carolina University. My grandfather went there, my dad went there, I went there, and all my siblings (except for Sarah...black sheep) have gone there. I loved ECU and loved the college experience...and here are 10 reasons why.
1. I was able to take at least one dance class every single day. How awesome is that?!
2. My XTerra. What a fun car to drive around Greenville with my windows rolled down, listening to Elisa on full blast.
3. Boulevard Bagel. My taste buds will never be able to accept Bruegger's because of how amazing Boulevard Bagel is. I used to order a whole wheat bagel with strawberry cream cheese at least 4 times a week. (good thing I was dancing so much)
4. College was all about me. And that's totally ok...because it's kind of supposed to be. Yes, I had a job, church responsibilities, and homework/studying...but it was still about me. If I wanted to take a 4 hour nap in the afternoon between class and rehearsals, I could. If I wanted to take off at 10pm to get a Krispy Kreme, I could.
5. Despite (or because of?) college being all about me, it really helped me grow up. I was responsible for getting myself to class, for showing up to work, and for being responsible. So grateful to those 4 years for helping me become the person I am today.
6. Fall at ECU is absolutely gorgeous. They have the crunchiest leaves, and it's just beautiful. The first cool breeze of the season always gives me nostalgia.
7. My apartment. My apartment was kind of amazing in Greenville. (and my brother and sister both lived there after me). I was such a slob in high school. Those of you who know me now are having a hard time wrapping your brain around that one....but I was! Having my own apartment and being in charge of decorating and cleaning it made me the neat freak I am today.
8. Being a dance education major. This decision is in my top 5 best decisions of all time.
9. Football games!! I honestly didn't do a ton of watching the actual game, but the atmosphere is super fun. My dad and uncle would drive a gigantic van to Greenville, and me and my family/friends would pile in to go to the games together.
10. Meeting people who I will love forever. My soul mates. I met my greatest friends during those 4 years, who are still my dear friends today.
Best wishes to everyone going to college this fall! What a fantastic time it is. Stay focused on what's most important and have the most amazing 4 (or 4ish) :-) years!