****11 reasons why the Arts are important (only 11, even though there are a billion!!!)****
- They are languages that all people speak that cut across racial, cultural, social, educational, and economic barriers and enhance cultural appreciation and awareness.
- They integrate body, mind, and spirit.
- They provide opportunities for self-expression, bringing the inner world into the outer world of concrete reality.
- They are an opportunity to experience processes from beginning to end.
- They develop both independence and collaboration.
- They provide immediate feedback and opportunities for reflection.
- They make it possible to use personal strengths in meaningful ways and to bridge into understanding sometimes difficult abstractions through these strengths.
- They merge the learning of process and content.
- They improve academic achievement -- enhancing test scores, attitudes, social skills, critical and creative thinking.
- They exercise and develop higher order thinking skills including analysis, synthesis, evaluation, and "problem-finding."
- They provide the means for every student to learn.
The Arts change people's lives, so make sure you are supporting them in SOME way.
* Get yourself and/or your children involved in dance, music, art, etc.
* Go see a show! Local or professional
* Support fundraisers that benefit the arts
* Advocate for the arts in our school system!!!!
* Etc., Etc., Etc.
Oh, and PS...Make sure you're watching So You Think You Can Dance :-)