AKA one of my favorite Broadway shows of all time.
NC Theatre did a pretty good job.
I am a West Side snob...so a show has to be almost perfect to even compare to the movie.
A few key points that did not meet my approval.
1. Tony was short. Tony can NOT be short.
2. Maria was a little bottom heavy. No no
3. Maria's voice was a bit too vibrato for her character.
4. The playground scene in the end was completely destroyed when Chino came out about 2 seconds late to shoot Tony. Maybe it was staged that way...but it was super anticlimatic. Chino shot Tony when he was already in Maria's arms...so technically he should have taken them both out.
5. Maria didn't freak out enough in the finale. I needed more anguish.
Besides those 5 things :-) I thought the show was nice. The voices were great and the choreography was wonderful.
Now...if you have no clue what I'm talking about in these 5 points...shame on you. Shame. You either need to drive to Blockbuster immediately...or you can borrow my Special Edition Copy.